Joseph Kappen

AKASaturday night strangler
DOB30 Jun 1941
Kill Total3 + ?
Kill PlacePort Talbot
Kill Date1973
VictimGeraldine Hughes-16,
Pauline Floyd-16,
Sandra Newton-16
Joseph Kappen was born in 1941, one of seven children, and grew up in Port Talbot. His parents' marriage broke up and he was raised by his stepfather. Kappen had come to the attention of the police as a 12-year-old. He had a string of over 30 minor offences, for robbing gas meters, car thefts, burglary and assault. He spent years in and out of prison. Outside jail he worked as a driver, as well as a bouncer.

1963, Kappen's girlfriendChristine, got pregnant and the couple married the next February. There was no time for a honeymoon. Ten days later, Kappen got sent down for three years for breaking into houses to rob gas meters. 
Their daughter Deborah was born in April. 

August 1965, Kappen was released on day release to attend his grandfather's funeral. At the wake, with a prison warder downstairs, he dragged wife Christine into an upstairs bedroom and had sex. By the time he was released from prison, Kappen was a father of two children that he had never met.

1964 Kappen attacked a 15-year-old schoolgirl as they were walking together in the Sandfields estate. As they entered a half-built house, he threw her to the ground and jumped on top of her. But when the girl screamed he got up and ran away.

14th July 1973, 16-year-old Sandra Newton went missing after a night out in Briton Ferry. She had been trying to hitchhike home when she was abducted.

17th July 1973, Sandra's  body was found, she had been raped and then strangled with her own skirt, she was then dumped in a ditch near a coal mine in Tonmawr, several. miles away.

16th September 1973, 16-year-old Geraldine Hughes and her best mate, and fellow factory worker, Pauline Floyd. were on a night out, when they left the Top Rank nightclub in Swansea, they hitched a lift. A witness later said he saw two girls getting into a white Austin 1100 car, at a set of traffic lights up ahead they pulled alongside, he could see the two girls chatting to a man with a busy moustache, they were never seen alive again.

Their bodies were found the next morning dumped, raped and strangled, in Llandarcy woodland, 5-miles from Swansea. 

Over 150 police officers worked on the case, the investigation soon became swamped in a sea of paperwork as officers struggled to keep tabs on thousands of leads.

One lead was the car, a White Austin 1100, more than 10,000 drivers had to be visited and questioned.
Close by, Port Talbot steelworks employed 13,000 men and all were viewed as possible suspects. Also, Construction of the M4 was underway, meaning that hundreds of itinerant workers needed to be considered in the investigation.

13th October 1973, as part of their investigation police visited Kappen, but his wife provided an alibi. 

July 1974, the murder team was quietly wound down and boxes and boxes of evidence and admin was stored at Sandfields police station in Port Talbot where, because of the damp conditions, it mostly all turned to mush, and became useless, but the girls underwear had been stored in another location, and would become invaluable evidence. 

23rd February 1976, Maureen Mulcahy was attacked during the night, raped and strangled. Her murder has never been solved, but Kappen is suspected.

17th June 1990, Joseph Kappen died of lung cancer aged-49.

2000, New DNA advances meant that DNA could now be separated when tangled with another persons, the girls underwear was sent for analysis, and Operation Magnum was launched.

It was also now that police started to investigate that the cases may be linked.

Police started re-investigating at a run down and closed police station, initially with over 35,000 potential suspects, a psychological profiller was called in which reduced the number to 500. 

They managed to check and eliminate all but 147 men, one of these, a man that had been a night club bouncer at the time, Joseph Kappen fitted all their criteria, a visit to his house became fruitless when his wife informed them he had died from lung cancer. Police carried on investigating Kappen, who was known to police at the time as a petty criminal with a violent temper.

24th December 2001, The police exhumed his corpse, and confirmed through DNA analysis that he was indeed the killer of Hughes, Floyd and Newton.  Kappen was now making history. He was the first serial killer ever to be pulled from the grave to prove his guilt.

June 2002, Kappen officially named as a Serial Killer.  

Kappen is the first documented serial killer in Welsh history.

<< Back

Recommended Books