Graham Young

Tea Cup Poisoner Graham Young
AKAThe Teacup Poisoner
DOB7 Sept 1947
OccupationLab assistant
Kill Total3 ?
Kill PlaceBovingdon
Kill Date1962 & 1971
VictimMolly Young - 37
Bob Egle,
Fred Biggs
Convicted and credited with the murder of three people, it is only by sheer luck that his total did not reach at least 9 people.
Graham Young was a smartly dressed and intelligent child, or so it appeared!

Born in September 1947 in Neasdon, Greater London. As a child he was obsessed with anything Nazi, Adolf Hitler was his hero, he was also intrigued by black magic and poisons.
He poisoned his step-mother over a long period of time with a lethal mixture of antimony and thallium. Molly Young finally died of the poisoning on 21 April 1962.
He also attempted to poison his father, sister and a friend.

23 May 1962, Young was detained under the Mental Health Act, and committed to Broadmoor secure psychiatric hospital in for at least 15 years. He was aged just 14, and wax the youngest inmate since the 1880's.

June 1970, after nearly eight years in Broadmoor, Edgar Udwin, the prison psychiatrist, wrote to the home secretary to recommend his release, announcing that Young "is no longer obsessed with poisons, violence and mischief".

4 February 1971, Young is released from detention at Broadmoor.
He allegedly told a nurse when leaving Broadmoor that he intended to kill one person for every year he had been detained.

He was sent to a government training centre where he befriended and then poisoned, although not fatally, 34 year old Trevor Sparkes.
Not long after this he got a job as a general assistant at a photographic laboratory in Bovingdon Hertfordshire. He was the tea boy as well as other general duties. He had only been working there a short while when there was a spate of strange sickness sweeping through the other workers. Nicknamed the "Bovingdon Bug" many fell ill, the storeroom manager Bob Egle eventually dying from the fatal dose of poison that Young had been slipping into the tea. Fred Biggs the distribution manager also died, but luckily three others who had been taken seriously ill, survived.

21 November 1971, Suspicion fell on Young, and after investigating his background, police moved in and arrested him, while he was visiting his father in Sheerness. When arrested police found a lethal dose of thallium in his pocket.

19 June 1972, he was committed for trial at St. Albans crown court. He was charged with two counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder and two counts of administering poison.
While in the dock he told warders that if convicted he would break his neck on the dock rail, he never carried this through.
29 June 1972, Graham Young was convicted and sentenced to life in prison, receiving four life sentences.
He was sent to the maximum-security Parkhurst prison, on the Isle of Wight, the home of Britain's most serious criminals, . Here he befriended Moor's Murderer, Ian Brady.

1st August 1990 , he died of a heart attack while serving a life sentence in Parkhurst prison, he was 42 year old.

Recommended Books